Continued PAP Earthquake Journal Jan17-21

January 17th – Can I start back with last night’s exorcism in the front yard, then I’ll explain the crutches in my hand?

This is how heavy a sleeper I am; I totally missed the exorcism last night, so this is all second hand account, but it’s definitely worth talking about.

We know as followers of Christ and children of Abba God that He is the creator of all things and Satan is simply a perverter or twister of things that are good.  He does not create, merely spoils.  So, with the voodoo culture, we believe that at its root is truth, all and the truth I think has a lot to do with spiritual warfare.  Last night one of the gems of our Haitian friends, Sun-son, who has been helping medically all over the neighborhood since the quake had a girl who he brought to us in a headlock, choking her and yelling there were evil spirits around her.  He was flicking her with water, I suppose trying to baptize her through brute force.

The girl was speaking very quickly in French against Christ and against God.  In Haiti the spiritual world is known and spoken in French, not Creole, so this made some sense.  Corrigan, who has education on exorcism told our friend to get back.  Very calmly he spoke to the girl and called out in Christ’s name that the spirit remove itself.  She instantly calmed down and asked to be baptized by Corrigan, so with water and oil he anointed her.  But then she got this spooky smile on her face and Sun-son pointed again saying the spirit of mockery was in her, and I think he was right.  She was smiling and mocking the process.  Sun-son began vigorously rubbing her breasts and again Corrigan called him back and removed him to the backyard.  The girl fell asleep instantly and does not remember anything this morning.

Processing this event over cornflakes this morning, Corrigan talked about how much he would rather deal with the girl’s direct exorcism, rather than Sun-son’s apparent spirit of self-righteousness, wanting to be this girls’ savior.

So much was going on here.  His desire to dominate her in a spiritual way is very linked we think to sexual attraction and both these desires, to love her and to see her in relationship with Christ are good on their own, but can so easily be perverted by Satan.  In Genesis we read how man’s domination over woman is part of the fall, yet Christ brings partnership.  This is a huge missing piece in Haitian spirituality.  Men are very much the slave owner and master over their wives.  We also have to notice that the combination of spiritual self-righteousness plus power is one of the things that takes up a lot of Christ’s encounters and speaking in the gospels.  Although his casting out of demons is a powerful part of his ministry, the writers and Christ must have seen that the real complexity of sin was in those who did not realize their own need and helplessness.

Okay, I’ll be keeping this updated:

Right now we are seeing so much unity among missionaries who may have once been alienated and at the very least, isolated from the body and amongst Haitians who are trying to figure out how to get back to their lives.

The whole day I spent on the Internet, updating status and getting my journal on my blog.  The Clays still don’t have Internet, but the Quisqueya chapel, which is a 3 acre walled piece of property, was hosting a relief team and offered to let Tasha and I use their wireless.  Walking in the door was a pile of children’s crutches.  Unfortunately they were too small for our boy in crutches, but they barely worked for our girl, so I was able to grab a set and bring them home.

In the mornings there is a team of doctors from Canada who come to examine and treat the wounded.  At noon every day they hand out food aid by allowing ten people at a time on to the property.  They said each day they serve out enough food to feed 3500 people.  I don’t know if that’s from this property or from several locations around the city.

I was finally able to talk to Ian over google mail.  He could see me on his screen, but because the MWR computer doesn’t have a camera, wasn’t able to see me.

January 18th – Today will be busy.  We are returning our recovering patients to their homes so we can resume the focus of the ministry and beading program.  Shelley and I started the day with a ridiculous workout for the shoulders, chest and triceps.  Then if that wasn’t enough for our upper bodies, we hoisted our two casted kids into the car with their mothers and went for their check-up.  Walking up to the gate, a bus was perfectly positioned in front of the entrance to the hospital.  We couldn’t get around the back side, so we went to the front.  The guy standing by the door of the bus told us to go back to the other side.  Shelley, short of temper, and muscles burning from the heavy boy in her arms, slapped the front of the bus and yelled at the top of her voice, “Move that bus!” It was a slightly different tone than they use on Extreme Home Makeover, but nonetheless the bus scooted back and we squeezed our kids group through.

We really didn’t want to spend all day in the hospital, so, as innocently as we could we by-passed the line and went straight up stairs to where the German doctors were dealing with the patients.

We got yelled at a little bit by one older doctor, but after he hemmed and hawed for a bit he let us stay up there and the kids were treated with new hardened casts in thirty minutes.  Shelley and I also say the little boy we prayed over with his sister.  He was awake; for some reason he was completely naked, but he was awake and responding.  Truly a miracle from only a few nights before.  We had also brought with us the woman with the sliced hand from a few days ago, to get her bandages changed.  Shelley had to take her downstairs, due to the grumpy doctor’s compromise, but no treatment was happening down there.  Suddenly, as Shelley was nearing an explosion of frustration, the bus in front of the hospital opened and doctors and nurses, fresh from the Dominican Republic flooded into the hospital.  Five of them came over to our woman and started treating her.  It was then that Shelley felt the freedom to cry a little, this time out of pure joy.

On the way home we dropped the boy off at his parents’ camp site with a cast and his x-rays.  He needs to return in two weeks for a check-up, but his family has plenty of food and money, they are just rebuilding their home.

Then we returned the exorcism girl to her family.  She didn’t have any broken bones, but just needed to continue to rest and could do that from under the same tree her family was sitting under.

The front yard was beginning to thin out.   We would be keeping Kristlyn and her two kids and husband in the front yard until we could find a better situation for them.  Corrigan had told the father of her kids that he could stay here and have food to eat if he worked odd jobs for Corrigan and stayed faithful to Kristlyn. He agreed, so I hope this is the beginning of a real commitment to his family.

We found gas!  It’s being sold at the gas station up the street.  Shelley filled up all our gallon containers, the car, and the oven tank we the kitchen is in business.

$15,000 has come in so far to the Apparent Project and the Clays and I discussed how they should best use the funds.  The idea we find most attractive is renting a house for teams to come in and help rebuild the surrounding neighborhoods.  The bottom level could be used as a school and the top level could be used to house different teams focused on different areas of development: Education, Repairing and Rebuilding Homes and Artisan development – all of which we want  people to come with a certification process in mind, to teach Haitians and prepare them for working in a certain area.

January 19th – Interview day.  Shelley and Corrigan were found and interviewed by their local Seattle news station.  They’ve been promised a spot on tonight’s news.  I was over at the chapel relief center most of the day interviewing people with three questions 1. What are you doing here in Haiti?  2. Where were you doing the earthquake?  3.  What stories do you have or have you heard of God’s faithfulness this past week?  I’ve gotten some good stories and it definitely makes me more excited to start my program in Dublin.

January 20th – There was another earthquake this morning before 6 am, registering at a 6.3.  It woke me up and was completely annoying, the utter indecency of the earth to shift violently at such a ridiculous hour.  I rolled out of bed, realizing my bed sits on an overhang and if one part of the house was going to crack off, this was a top candidate.  I put on my slippers and went out on the roof and down the house to join the group already gathered in the front yard.  After twenty minutes of no after shocks, Shelley and I were ready to start the day with 90 minutes of butt-kicking yoga back up on the roof.  We figured if the roof did cave in, we’d be better off on top of the building than in it.  The day was beautiful and breezy, although the new earthquake had kicked up a lot of dust.

By nine Shelley, Richard and I were in the hunt for the 82nd Airborne group, located at a golf course we had never heard of.  We passed a lot of the real devastation on the way and I videotaped as much as I could from the car.  Buildings were crumpled and whole neighborhoods had seemed to slide down the hill.  We had no luck finding the golf course, the postoffice was still closed, we only had American money, so we couldn’t buy fruit . . . it was turning into a pointless day.  We had one more errand to do, which was stop by Heartline ministries and pick up purses for my mom-in-law.  On the way there we realized the U.S. Embassy was enroute, so pulling over we took our chances.

Shelley has a college friend from SPU, Stephanie, who is in charge of nonimmigrant visas and we were hoping to talk to her.  After sending in several people to find her, one woman who I can only refer to as an angel, marched us through security and to the desk of Pius Brensan, headman in charge of granting visas for adoptions.  After hearing our story, Shelley had no paperwork on either of the kids, it was all in process and that she wanted to come back with the kids as soon as things had calmed down and she had finalized their adoptions, he said bring me photos I can use for Humanitarian visas, we’ll have this done by tonight.

Praise the Lord!! We rushed to Heartline, grabbed 15 purses, and rushed home.  Shelley had a photo in hopes of Jackson’s passport all ready to go, and found a photo the right size of Ember’s face that she cut out.  She also happened to have an extra home study with both the kids’ names on it as proof of the process of adoption.  We jumped in the car and only his a few minutes of traffic.  The Embassy guard gave us a bit of trouble, but after fifteen minutes of beating our heads against a brick wall, the same angel emerged and marched us through security one more time.  It was a three-hour wait, but nonetheless, 3 hours later we were walking out of the Embassy with sealed envelopes for each, Jackson and Ember, ready to board a plane.

On the way home we hit ridiculous traffic simply due to the Haitian mindset that lines and a macro sense of order are of secondary (which we were fully part of . . .) importance to the greater need of immediacy.  Thus a two lane road was turned into a three lane road, and then when that didn’t seem to be going anywhere, a stream of cars decided to invade the oncoming traffic lane all in the cheap name of expediency.  We sat in the same spot for over 45 minutes watching the light ahead turn from green to red and back to green with no movement whatsoever.  Finally the bottleneck broke free and we were out and gone, getting home in fifteen minutes.

Shelley was set on packing up the kids and trying to catch a flight the next day, so she was making a list of things to do.  She had to grab a few things for the kids, but mostly she would need to buy new things due to the climate change in Washington state.  She would have to brief Corrigan on keeping the beading program running and pack up most of the jewelry for me to send to parties.  This was not going to be a night of much sleep for her, fortunately she had me, her friend, almost instantly pass out on the couch in case she needed assistance.  Waking up and not hearing too much commotion I made my way up to the roof and fell fast asleep.

January 21st – It wasn’t until this morning that I realized yesterday had been my due date for baby Gray.  What a faithful God! Months ago I had prayed that God would fill the 20th of January with something so significant, I would not be consumed with sadness.  Getting Jackson and Ember’s visas was just that kind of day.  It also was the anniversary of Ember being brought to Shelley at the orphanage.

As it turned out, at midnight the night before, Shelley had received a text message from the group processing her adoption.  They had done the visa process for Jackson and Ember as well as their 80 kids in the process of adoption and chartered a plane for tonight.  If we wanted to be on it, we needed to be at the airport at 5pm, ready to go.

What a relief!  If I hadn’t already felt spoiled from God’s goodness, this just seemed like God was now using my favorite kind of icing for the cake he was giving me.  We would not have to wait at the embassy or at the airport all day for a plane for evacuation, but could spend the day packing and preparing to leave.

And wouldn’t you know, after a week of having a pointless phone, both my mom and ian were able to get through and call me.  Ian and I talked for almost an hour, until it was 1 am his time and he was falling asleep at his desk.  I told him my plan, to help Shelley get the four kids to Seattle, spend a few days there, then fly to Kansas City and meet my mom and brother at my Papa’s house. My dad thought he could get me flight rebooked from Kansas City to Vicenza and we’re hoping the airlines won’t make us pay to finish our evacuation from Miami to Seattle.

At 4pm we hopped in the car for the airport.  Currently we’re sitting out on the fields between the runways with 80 orphans and 30 adult helpers.  Most of the kids are being adopted out, but a few are in fact going to foster homes.  I keep thinking that if God has one of these orphans for me and Ian he’ll plop it in my lap and make it obvious.  We’ll see . . .

The sun set behind the airport and now we’re just waiting for our flight to Miami.  We’re hoping that by tomorrow afternoon we’ll be in dreary cold, mosquito free Washington.  Corrigan will be staying behind, videotaping, helping feed those still hungry and overseeing the beading program.



  1. Nancy Wolgamott said,

    January 23, 2010 at 8:17 am

    Wow! thank you for recording all these amazing details!

  2. Cadena said,

    January 23, 2010 at 8:32 am

    God is AMAZING!!!!! That is all I have to say about that!!!

  3. Steve Horning said,

    January 23, 2010 at 4:04 pm

    Thanks so much, dear Jocelyn, for taking effort to let us glimpse the grace of God in this catastrophe. We have a whole week of prayer planned, beginning tomorrow here in Schweinfurt. Know that we’re upholding you and Ian, and also the Clays and others you named. May God’s mercies be abundantly glorified in your family, and also in Haiti. -Steve and Jeanne

  4. Jacque O. said,

    January 23, 2010 at 7:05 pm

    Thanks for the update!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: